6/12
[ stop the slideshow ]

Padroa dos Descobrimentos

pad.jpg Elevador de Santa JustaThumbnailsPadroa dos DescobrimentosElevador de Santa JustaThumbnailsPadroa dos DescobrimentosElevador de Santa JustaThumbnailsPadroa dos DescobrimentosElevador de Santa JustaThumbnailsPadroa dos DescobrimentosElevador de Santa JustaThumbnailsPadroa dos DescobrimentosElevador de Santa JustaThumbnailsPadroa dos DescobrimentosElevador de Santa JustaThumbnailsPadroa dos Descobrimentos

Monument to the Discoveries - Originally built in 1940 and made of steel and concrete for the exhibit "The Portuguese World" it was intended to be temporary. In 1960 it was rebuilt using stone in time for the 500th anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator, the leading figure at the tip of the sculpture. In the background is Cristo Rei and the April 25th Bridge.